Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>, The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 08:29:51 -0600
Now that the MR-2 has been mentioned...

I did a little research into that car recently.  The 1st generation, called
the Angular look was originally a Lotus design.  Yes, Lotus.  They were
going to call it the X-100.  Then before ever making a single production
car model, they scraped it and Toyota bought the plan work.

Toyota brought it to life on the drawing board and had Yamaha build it, and
piece it together by hand.  Then the 2nd generation came out, it was an all
Jap design.  My personal favorite as well.  It's also known as a shrunken
Ferrari.  Most especially the turbo 91 - 95 models.  I think they even made
a supercharged model in 89 - 90.

Toyota stopped importing the car to the US in 95 but the car is still made
and exported to several other counties.

I read in Super Street mag, a 5 issue article where they took a 92 or 93
model and pumped out over 400 HP out of the little 4 banger.  It's quite a
car.

--
Jay Quinn
jpquinn@cyberramp.net

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite MKII HAN6L2874