Re: Distributor

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: "JedPiper" <JedPiper@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:48:17 -0600
Jay -

Basically it's an issue of points.  On a standard (non-electronic) Lucas
25D4 or 45D4 distributor there is a single set of points.  On the Mallory,
there are two sets of points which will produce a hotter spark than a
single set.  The ignitor replaces the points, essentially converting a
standard distributor to electronic.

In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, not substantiated by anything
other than my personal experience; I would opt for a new, standard Lucas
45D distributor to replace your ailing unit.  It's  unlikely that your '71
would benefit a great deal from the Mallory dual point unless you are also
running a race cam or regularly drive at very high rpm's.  Further, a new
45D should perform very well for many years if the points are routinely
adjusted/replaced and your timing is checked on a regular basis, like say
every third oil change or so.  Keep in mind that you always have the option
of replacing the points with an ignitor system at some point in the future
should you become dissatisfied with the performance of the standard unit.

Good luck with your decision.

Jed Piper
'76 B
Cibolo, TX