Re: Distributor

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:34:42 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:
> > This happens as soon as the rotor swings around to an electrode inside
> > the cap. Boom! A sparkplug ignites.
>
>   That's simply not true. The voltage will not "sit" on the rotor
> waiting for the proper gap before firing.
>
>   The voltage appears at the rotor when produced by the coil. It
> will either arc to the metal if the metal is close, or nothing
> will happen. It will not "sit and wait" and screw up your timing,
> that's simply not possible.

Actually, as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) the coil
is in essence a large capacitor, whose fucntion is to hold a charge
until such time as there is a path to ground.  So the charge would in
fact sit ( in the capacitor, not the rotor though) until the rotor came
around and made contact with cap, wich provides the charge in the
capacitor (ignition coil) with a path to ground ( via the spark plug).

Boom, plug fires.

Greg