Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:32:39 -0500
At 08:25 PM 12/22/97 +0000, you wrote:
Jeremy Clarkson showed how they can topple all to easily.  He had film of a
chap from a
>Gulf state driving along a road, giving the wheel a quick flick to get it
on two wheels,
>then leaning out of the window to strike a match on the tarmac to light a
cigarette.

>Richard Branson rolled one on a Motorway trying to avoid someone who pulled
out in fronnt of
>him.  Personally, I would have chosen the safer option and rammed them.  As
it was, the
>other car didn't stop.
>PaulH.

One of our TV network newsmagazines showed a Chevrolet pickup exploding when
side impacted...of course they had to use pyrotechnical deception to
accomplish this. They apologized.
  Now, I don't know about Range Rovers or Discos, but Series Land-Rovers
were designed to safely operate at 30 degree angle. Couple that with an 80
mph top speed (with luck) and skinny tires, and common sense tells you that
it would take an appalling lack of that same common sense to even get one on
its side, never mind rolling the thing. Nothing is impossible, but it would
be most unlikely.
 Oh, yeah, the notion of a 'quick flick' of a Series Rover's steering wheel
accomplishing anything at all would strike most Series owners as good for a
chuckle;-)

Michael, New Bern, NC