Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale

To: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 20:25:23 +0000
The Richards wrote:

> >At 09:49 PM 12/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >What? a rover died from a rollover?  I thought they were designed to
> >>survive these things without a scratch.  So much for Rover's invincible
> >>aurora.
>
> Range Rovers have low center of gravity, but once rolled the truck can be
> totalled. However, the driver has a chance of walking away.
>   Unless there is a mountain or some such involved, it is impossible to
> 'rollover' a Series Land-Rover -- they just won't go fast enough:-) They
> can, with extremely foolish off road driving, be made to fall onto their
> sides...or so I've been told...and they are often protected from 'scratches'
> in this circumstance by a generous coating of mud. Once on its side, a good
> winch (or a great many wenches) or another Rover can be useful for pulling
> it rightside up, and then off it goes to look for another place that might
> make it fall over again.
>
> Michael, New Bern, NC
> 67MGB
> 74Jensen Interceptor
> Series III Land-Rover

Jeremy Clarkson showed how they can topple all to easily.  He had film of a
chap from a
Gulf state driving along a road, giving the wheel a quick flick to get it on
two wheels,
then leaning out of the window to strike a match on the tarmac to light a
cigarette.

Richard Branson rolled one on a Motorway trying to avoid someone who pulled out
in fronnt of
him.  Personally, I would have chosen the safer option and rammed them.  As it
was, the
other car didn't stop.

PaulH.