Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: rolling rovers/was Rover V8 for sale
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 22 Dec 1997 16:07:30 -0600
In <1.5.4.32.19971222213239.00681f2c@abaco.coastalnet.com>, The Richards wrote:

>  Now, I don't know about Range Rovers or Discos, but Series Land-Rovers
>were designed to safely operate at 30 degree angle. Couple that with an 80
>mph top speed (with luck) and skinny tires, and common sense tells you that
>it would take an appalling lack of that same common sense to even get one on
>its side, never mind rolling the thing. Nothing is impossible, but it would
>be most unlikely.
> Oh, yeah, the notion of a 'quick flick' of a Series Rover's steering wheel
>accomplishing anything at all would strike most Series owners as good for a
>chuckle;-)
>
>Michael, New Bern, NC

Well, all well and good, but I dumped a Series (1966 109) LR on its
side at considerably less than a 30 degree angle and considerably
lower than 80 mph, more like 15 mph.  In the grand scheme of things,
the damage didn't matter much, because it rotted out from under me in
the Ohio salt in a matter of a few years......

                        A. B. Bonds