Re: Damn Ignition!

To: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>, drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Subject: Re: Damn Ignition!
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:11:04 -0500
Ben-

Some advice.  Buy a shop manual, and a cheap multimeter from Radio Shack.
Using the ohm meter, with the ignition off, trace the leads from all the
relevant devices, and verify that there is continuity.  Turn the ignition
switch to "on" and verify that voltages are where they are supposed to be.

Proceed from there, verifying that components are good or bad, not just
random replacement.  Random replacement always ends up costing more, and
may never yield a solution.  Narrow down to the smallest "segment", and
work out, always in small steps.

The fact that the Lucas, and Lumination/Ignitor/Crane (whatever it is that
you have) don't work suggests that the problem may well not be in any of
the ignition modules, but instead with power to the unit, or grounding.

Have you verified the trigger component works?  Could be nothing but a bad
sensor.  I have a Crane System that uses an opto-electric trigger.  This
part is pretty bullet proof, but can fail.  No trigger = no spark.

By the way, the Lucas CEI system works off a six volt coil, while most of
the aftermarket use 12 volts.  For this reason, you need to change the feed
wire to the coil, as well as the coil.

I would suggest that you contact the customer service/tech support people
at the company that manufactured your ignition.  Request a copy of the
detailed installation directions - they will probably fax or mail you a
copy at no cost.  Explain your problem, and see what they suggest.

Stop throwing money at the problem.  A points type distributor might solve
your problem, but then again may not.  Isolate and fix the problem.  It may
seem a monumentous task, but you seem like a pretty bright guy, and if you
go about it with logic an reason, you will prevail.

Regards,

Chris Delling