Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes

To: jello@dns.ida.net
Subject: Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:37:27 EST
In a message dated 97-12-28 00:05:36 EST, jello@dns.ida.net writes:

> This is not logical to me.  With overdrive, you can use six different
>  speeds.  They are 1, 2, 3, 3OD, 4, 4OD.  I rather have the overdrive than a
>  5 speed.

Hi, Phil:

Maybe it's just lack of experience on my part, but it's difficult to see the
advantages of 6 speeds for everyday driving.

>  Also, I'm not sure, but I doubt that the friction loss in the OD
>  is a lot higher than in a 5th gearing mechanism.

I quess we'll never know for sure, but I believe there is, considering there
are more gears engaged with an OD, and especially considering the fairly high
pressure pump involved.

>  I have overdrive on my
>  MGB, and I'll tell you what, I don't care if I am getting better mileage or
>  not, the car is so much more comfortable and quiet with overdrive I am very
>  happy to have it.

I absolutely can't argue with that. As I said, I would like to have one
myself, just for those reasons. If gas mileage were of primary concern, we
wouldn't be driving an MG in the first place, we would be driving some sort of
econo-box. Given that I don't know how to take advantage of 6 speeds, though,
I would still prefer a 5 speed. Maybe if I ever actually had an OD, I might
change my mind.

> Anyhow, my highway speed limit is 75, and I've been known
>  to go much faster than that.  Overdrive is a distinct advantage for the
>  drivability reguardless of the economy of it.

Perhaps. I have 4 speeds in both my MGBGT and my TR6, and I drive them both
long distances at speeds in the 75 - 85 MPH range, and I don't really have any
complaints. At those speeds, the engine noise is pretty much lost in the wind
noise anyway. Here in the hills of East Tennessee, you might find that you
don't have enough power to drive much over 75 in OD. There are hills on I-75
between here and Atlanta that my wife's Volvo won't pull in OD at 85 MPH - I
have to shift into high to maintain speed.

I have no objection at all to an OD, it's just that I don't think they are
worth the hassle to install one if you don't already have one. Of course, that
is a personal opinion, and others don't agree. Whether or not they give better
gas milage is not opinion - either they do or they don't. I think they don't,
others think they do. Maybe someone will do a valid test someday and settle it
once and for all.

Cheers

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN