Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:40:16 EST
Hi Dan,
  Your arguments all make sense to me, especially the ones about spinning
additional gears in the OD.  I think that the pump pumps constantly, so
would not think that it alone would amount to much resistance when OD is
engaged.
  However, it's been my experience in the B-GT that the OD is worth 2-3
mpg improvement during highway driving.  Is that worth the bother of
making the OD swap?  Well, @ 3mpg @ 1.39 per gallon, maybe in a hundred
years or so, but the OD does make for a more tranquil ride.  Since our
highway driving in CT is on Rts 95, 91 and 84, anything that can increase
peace of mind is worthwhile.
  Around town, I rarely use it. It's neat to flick on 3OD instead of
shifting to 4th, but forgetting to flick back to 3N before a stopsign
results in an unexpected lurch when the OD engages itself again in 3rd at
about 25 mph. I have an indicator light, but it's on the console in a
hole that was there, so it's just outside one's peripheral vision.
Bob