Re: TD Oil Drain Plug

To: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord), frankk@businesson.com
Subject: Re: TD Oil Drain Plug
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:50:30 -0800
At 06:19 PM 12/30/97 EST, Barney Gaylord wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:39:02 -0800 "Frank R. Krajewski"
><frankk@businesson.com> writes:
>
>>Looking for assistance in removing the brass oil drain plug from my
>recently acquired 1953 TD. ..... quite a rounded plug at this time. Would
>the application of heat to the plug or the pan (which expands at the more
>rapid rate: brass or aluminum?) be of any value? .....
>

>The brass is going to expand faster than the steel, so it probably won't
>come loose with heating.  It could however come loose with cooling.  You
>might try heating the plug and the pan together, then apply Ice to the
>plug, and try unscrewing it with the vice grips while the pan is still
>warm.  Gloves would be in order here.  If that fails, there's always
>other ways.

Easier and faster in effect than ice would be a can of Freezit or any other
brand of componennt freeze.  It's a spray used in electronics work to
isolate heat sensitive problem components.  It should be available at most
electronics supply stores. (This stuff is great at getting bubblegum out of
carpets too)

Greg

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats