Re:Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:25:32 GMT
On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:09:50 -0500, Chris wrote:

>Once we're done thrashing your 64 (hopefully the doors don't fly open =
;-)
>)then you can thrash my 77B, you might be a bit suprised.  9.0 to 1 CR,
>Piper Cam, re-curved distributor, no smog gear, and a Weber mixing the
>juice.  No it's not how it was shipped from the factory, but it is as =
God
>(and Mowog) intended it!

Chris,
I would be interested hearing your experiences with this cam.  I have
been thinking of using the Piper 270 in my rebuild, but I am
considered about tractability.  Will this cam idle at 1000rpm or
below?  Did you have any problems with clearance to the valve cut-outs
in the block?  Some mag. articles have suggested that you have to
grind these cut outs to provide clearance with a higher lift cam while
others seem to ignore this point.  I would appreciate opinions from
other listers who are using this cam as well.

Thanx,
Ken Roach
"74B