Re: MGB sway bars (was Re: MGB vs TR7 as first...)

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: MGB sway bars (was Re: MGB vs TR7 as first...)
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 11:46:22 +0000
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com> wrote:
>
> >Ken Roach wrote: I would fit a set of the
> >> "Ron Hopkinson" style sway bars which are said to be quite an
> >> improvement over the factory bars.
>
> >Ken,
> >I haven't heard of these swaybars where can I find out about them?Also I
> >heard if you over do it in the sway bar dept it will get dangerous and
> >not be safety fast.
> >Pat
>
> I don't know who handles this kit in the states these days,
> I got mine from Seven Enterprises.  The "Hopkinson" kit (on
> my '75 'B at least)  seems to be well balanced.  It does
> wonders for a rubber bumpered street car, it's not enough
> if you're running in DSP.
>
> It's not "over doing it" per se that causes problems.
> You can put some serious sway bars on an LBC (you should
> see the one on the Spit I run against---it doesn't
> look like a sway bar, it looks as big around as a
> drive shaft!) if things are right.  If you aren't familiar
> with suspension tuning and just put some big sway bar
> on the car, yeah strange things can happen.  If you
> have an MGB and want it to handle better and you
> buy a kit from one of the big suppliers, you'll
> probably be happy.
>
> -Keith Wheeler
>
> Team Sanctuary          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/

My RB V8 has the Ron Hopkinson kit and the rear cetainly breaks away much
sooner
on wet roundabouts/rotarys than my CB roadster did.  When I upgraded the front
and rear springs on the roadster to RB types, mainly to improve wheel arch
clearance on the WW conversion, it did that plus greatly reduced roll and dive,
but also makes the rear looser in the wet.

PaulH.