Re: Inane thread (was) Re: Chrome vs. Rubber

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Inane thread (was) Re: Chrome vs. Rubber
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 13:46:35 +0000
Mike Hartwig wrote:

> At 11:57 AM 1/1/98 -0500, Benjamin Ruset wrote:
> >I invite anyone from either side of the debate to really question whether
> >or not this is worth arguing over. Trying to change one's opinion on a car
> >by throwing statistics (Chrome has higher resale value, better handling,
> >etc - Rubber has the Rover engine bay, yadda yadda) really won't work. If
> >someone is set in their ways, let them be.
>
> Yeah, but what would life be if no one had an opinion. I think it is good
> for this list
> to engage in topics pertinent to MGs.  Albeit, this particular topics isn't
> of too much interest
> for those with MGAs, and Ts, but hey, all these autos were made by the same
> team.

How often on this list do you see someone change their opinion in response to a
point from someone else?  There's no reason why they should, but all too often
threads degenerate into personal attacks, something which saddens me when we
are talking about a common interest/love/passion.  Surely if we are comfortable
with our own preferences we shouldn't feel the need to rubbish anyone else's.

> >As for me, I like chrome. I also like rubber. Rubber is more practical for
> >me right now. To me, a "B" is a "B"
>
> Ya, I agree too.

Me too, I have one of each.  To me there is not much more beautiful than my
Black Tulip roadster with all its chrome twinkling in the sunshine.  And then I
sit and look the the GT - the lines and tapering facets of the roof and C
posts; the curves in the tailgate, it's just so 'right', and all the more
amazing for being a later addition to the roadster body which has relatively
few 'crease' lines.  The rubber bumpers blend in with the lines of the car very
well particularly at the front, and with the chunky V8 wheels and tyres.  They
are also far more practical than chrome in an all weather daily driver that
lives outside.

Another thing that saddens me is the snobbery that seems rife amongst MGB
owners here in the UK, at least.  Chrome vs Rubber, roadster vs GT, slatted
grill vs recessed/honeycomb.  The difference is response to waves to other
drivers from each of my cars is very marked, and very disappointing.

PaulH.