MGB Oil filter flood... darnit

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Oil filter flood... darnit
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:03:51 -0500
Well, some of you may remember I posted about having
an MGB oil filter that didn't seem to mesh flat with the
oil filter housing.

  Well, I half-attempted to fix it a couple of weeks ago,
and it seemed oiltight, so I put it out
of my mind while I worked on other things like the fuel
pump and the driveshaft.

  Anyways, today I was trying to start it for the first
time, and while musing over the distributor I dropped
a part. When I reached down to pick it up, I realized
that half my oil was on the pavement. I guess the car
"almost starting" had gotten oil pressure up higher than
my earlier tests and that did me in. Oh well, at least
it didn't start it might have emptied itself in a
REAL hurry.

  Anyways, the car is a 70, but the engine is a 74-ish with
the vertical spin on filter on the little stand
that bolts to the engine block. It appears I'll need to
remove the bracket and straighten it or replace it.

  Any tips on removing the oil filter bracket without
pulling the engine? I confess I haven't looked up from
underneath because of the oil lake, but I am not sure
if the bolts are accessible or likely to be torqued
off with the access I can get.

  Any tips? Anyone have a spare bracket?

  (Thanks to all the emailed about door hinges, I
will get to that as soon as I solve this little
trouble)

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada