overdrive

To: "MGS@autox.team.net" <MGS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: overdrive
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 98 22:27:06 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Looking for some advise regarding the overdrive unit on my BGT
It  has recently  started to free wheel .  I would have expected that if it
was going to do such a thing it would do it when the O/D is engaged,  but no
........ it does it only after the O/D is  off.
The car  operates fine until I engage the O/D, while in O/D it will continue
to operate   normally, but if I disengage the O/D the rpms will rise  ( if
speed is maintained )  but if I let up on the throttle the RPMs will drop
approx 800 RPM and if throttle is applied you get a lag until the 800 rpm is
made up.  If  O/D is engaged it will not do it.
I read the manual  and under "Fault Diagnosis"   it lists 'over-run ' as
caused by Worn clutch lining  or broken circle on sun wheel.
The manual does not say if it would happen in and out of O/D  but  given the
fact that  it will not do it until  after the O/D is engaged I don't see
either of those being the fault.
Having never taken one apart I'm limited to the very confusing explanation
of the operating system outlined in the manual so remain confused .
Is it possible that  one of the valves is sticking or a control unit is
defective?
Is a home  rebuild feasible by someone who has rebuilt transmissions and
engines or does it fall into the " send it out  category?
Any recommendations as to who is a good rebuilder ?

Thanks for any and all  suggestions

Bob Nogueira  " going to work 800 RPMS faster than he'd like to"