Re: Transmission Leak

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:00:18 -0500
At 09:54 PM 1/14/98 -0600, DANIEL RAY wrote:

>Listers,

>I said that I'd have numerous questions, and I just couldn't wait for this one!

>The car has one leak, and it is coming from a small hole at the rear of the
>bell housing on the transmission. I've looked everywhere for a diagram to tell
>me what this hole might be, but all of them are depicted at a side-angle.

>Here is the scary part, besides the oil dripping out (which is not really that
>scary on an LBC, is it?) --

>What appears to be the bent ends of a cotter pin are dangling from this hole!

>Does anyone know what this hole is?

>I have half a mind (which is a majority of my brain capacity) to take some
>chewing gum, plug the little hole, fill the thing with the proper oil and
>forget about it until the brakes, head and exhaust are fixed.

>Any idea what this is? Any leads on a diagram that will show me what this is?
>I have the major catalogs and the Haynes manual and couldn't find anything.

>BTW, the transmission works great, nice solid shifts, no grinds...."Like
>Butta"

>Help!

Dan, this leak you speak of from the hole with cotter pin, is a drain hole for
the bellhousing of the transmission.  This would be where the clutch is housed.
 If this is the right spot, I have sorrow for you.

I hate to break the news to you, but one of two things is occurring here.
Either your rear main oil seal has gone south and engine oil is coming by, or
the oil seal and/or gasket is shot on the transmission where the main shaft(I
think that's it) emerges from the tranny and into bellhousing.  If the leaking
is not too bad, I would think it would last some time, but beware, oil and
clutch discs and bearings do not mix well.

Long term, this would mean pulling the engine to service the oil seals; and
while you're at it, grab a clutch set, and rebuild set for the slave cylinder,
as well as a new clevis pin a plunger for the cylinder.  I've done this three
times on my B(two cars), and this is the best way to do the job.  Also check
the motor mounts and tranny mounts.

Does everyone on the list agree with me here? Or did I just misdiagnose this
problem badly?

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.