Re: overdrive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: overdrive
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:00:09 -0500
>Having never taken one apart I'm limited to the very confusing explanation
>of the operating system outlined in the manual so remain confused .
>Is it possible that  one of the valves is sticking or a control unit is
>defective?
>Is a home  rebuild feasible by someone who has rebuilt transmissions and
>engines or does it fall into the " send it out  category?
>Any recommendations as to who is a good rebuilder ?
>
>Thanks for any and all  suggestions
>
>Bob Nogueira  " going to work 800 RPMS faster than he'd like to"
>
>_____________________________________

Bob,

It is a fairly easy job to remove the solenoid and low pressure valve and
clean the pieces.  While you're there, replace the O-rings and and valve
balls.  Commonly, the LH has an inherrent flaw in that one of the main oil
galleys sits directly above the solenoid and this allows any debris in the
oil to settle inside the soleniod which can cause it to bind once current is
removed.  A screen is provided to catch large debris in the main oil
resevoir, but bits of the pump as it wears are unfiltered in the oil
passages and can lodge between the moving parts of the solenoid and cause it
to stick.  Both the solenoid and low pressure valve are easily accessible
from underneath and don't require any special tools to remove.  Just make
careful notes as you take the pieces out as there are lots of small items
that must be put back in the exact order that they came out - and things
tend to fall out unexpectedly while working upside down!

Good luck!!!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff
Power British        http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars

"Whadya mean it won't pass the smog test?!@*!  It's only a 948 and most
 of the time #4 doesn't fire - how much pollution could three little
 cylinders possibly make!"