Re: Clutch was REALLY stuck...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com
Subject: Re: Clutch was REALLY stuck...
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:12:13 -0500
>Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com> 01/18/98 11:15am
>I don't have a clutch alignment tool that fits this car so I may
>have to wait until Monday night to put it back together.

I keep seeing this sort of message about clutch alignment tools.  Am I
the only one in America who's never bought one of these things?  Maybe
this is another one for Barney's "Grapes of Wrath" file.

Whenever it's time to throw in a clutch plate, I find myself a large
bolt in the shop - or a 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket extension.  Push it
into the pilot bushing to see how deep it goes.  Take the bolt out and
start wrapping electrical tape around it a few wraps at a time until
there's a snug fit into the bushing.  Next, push the bolt back in the
pilot bushing and slide the clutch plate over it.  Noting where on the
bolt the clutch collar would ride, remove the clutch plate and bolt and
start wrapping tape around the bolt at that point until you get a snug
fit for the clutch plate collar.  Viola, a clutch alignment tool you
don't have to wait for Monday to use.

I use the largest bolt I can, because if you have too much tape, it
makes a spongy fit.  Always make sure to push on the clutch pedal when
you go to start the car, in order to finalize alignment.  (This would be
important even if you used the official alignment tool.)

If I had an alignment tool for every car I've put a clutch into, I'd
have huge box full of obsolete tools.  I can't afford that when I've got
to supply this fine British automobile with so many fine replacement
parts.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - my first MG, not my first clutch replacement.