Oil Change Question?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Change Question?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Some work is due on the TC which will leave it disabled for a few weeks.
Other things are due which can be done while I'm waiting for my parts to
arrive.  One of the things I may do is change the oil.  This got me
wondering.....

Standard practice is to run the car under load till the oil is completely
warmed to operating temperature then shut down and drain the sump.  Why?
Here's my logic.  The motor will drain well with warm oil, the oil galleries
will be flushed(?) What else?

The car has sat for better than a month.  It was warm when parked.  In the
time since it last ran obviuosly all the old oil save for a thin film will
have found its way to the sump.  Why should I fire it up and redistribute
all this old oil throughout the system before I drain the sump? Hmmmmm?

Cheers,
Ross