Re: MG 2001(long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG 2001(long)
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:18:57 -0500
This is a little long, but I am curious about how others feel.

I just got back from the NEMGTR Noggin and Natter. Had a great time and I
am sorry that this event is so short. I digress, but this event is the only
one without the cars, and the group that shows for the annual business
meeting has a blast every moment except the business meeting itself.
Remember its the  MG people, that are the greatest, not polishing cars.

At the meeting we had a presentation from Don Harmer of Atlanta regarding
the events for MG2001. His club is one of the host clubs. The issue was the
car show.

Without going too far back in history, this event was something suggested
by myself and others following the MGCC 1991 raid on the U.S. (please, no
comments on that matter) . What grew out of that time was the realization
that all the existing but separate clubs and registers in the U.S. should
try a co-ordinate events, and hold a national , all club event every few
years. The MG council was thus formed, being a loose organization of all
the clubs and registers in North America which meets at Import Carlisle in
May, the Twist Party in the summer, and usually at the NAMGBR convention.
(anyone can attend these meetings and vote)

The first event organized was Indy, which was a great success. However,
Indy did vary from what was planned.

Early in the plans for Indy, it was decided not to have a car show with
awards. The reason was to try and mix the models and their people, and to
let anyone with any model to join in without any affiliation. Based on
that, the NEMGTR planned its event around the Safety Fast car inspection,
which is a regular event at our GOFs, but was opened to any MG or person at
Indy. (this was a great success, ask anyone who went though it)

At the main hotel in Indy, the huge parking lot was filled with every type
of MG from prewar M types to 1980 LEs. At night when the sun went down, and
the temp. dropped to a cold 90 degrees, everyone mixed.

However, for reasons unforseen, the A and B registers decided to holds a
car show. The question raised was whether or not a non member could enter
his B or A in these shows as long as they were registered for the event.
Apparently, the bylaws of the various clubs don't permit this, and there
were incidents of bad feelings.

Going back to Don Hammer, he was asking the clubs to endorse a wide open
car show regardless of club affiliation which we endorsed at the Natter,
but with the understanding that the show and awards represent MG 2001 , not
the NEMGTR.

My problem and worry, (probably wrong) is that this will tend to separate
the models into the obvious categories and separate the owners into their
model types, destroying the mix originally planned. When the B register
held its show in Indy, the B's separated from the others, as did the As
during their car show.

The question is whether or not MGs can come together without an award type
car show or not. Apparently we can't, and I  guess this bothers me as I
rather talk to people about their cars and experience rather than polish
brake lines.

Mike Leckstein