Re: MG 2001(long)

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: MG 2001(long)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:09:39 -0500
Hi Mike:

You raise some good points.  As someone who will never be able to attend
one of the big shows - unless one is held somewhere within 1500 miles, in a
location with sensible visitor pricing - I'd like to offer a couple of
suggestions.

1.  Register people as driving participants and concours participants.
Charge a lot more for concours participants.  For those who wish to do
both, find some middle ground.  I personally like shows as well as driving
activities.  However, it makes a lot more work if a concours level of show
with good judging is planned.  I personally loathe peer judging and don't
participate in it.

2.  Show cars by the last digit of their age.  My '70 would be shown with
'50 TDs and '60 As and 80 LEs, and any pre-war machines that fit the year
category.  This would force a true mixing of the field.  You would have 10
separate areas to look at, each mixed by year.  If you didn't want so many
categories, do it by two-year groups.  You could have all the 0 years with
all of the 5s and so forth - making sure to mix it up as much as possible.
I thind this wouldn't be too much more work for judges and would provide
some great photo ops.

3.  Use the Pebble Beach approach regarding trailer queens.  All cars must
be driven on to and off of the site.

4. If no one is willing to judge cars and if only peer judging is expected
simply don't judge at all.  Let everyone have a good time bragging and call
it a day.  Why should their be winners and losers - especially losers - at
a fun event which is part of a fun hobby.  A nice dash plaque and a few
novelty awards is certainly better than the feeling of being an "also ran".

5.  If a show is planned, insist that all participants provide a decent
informative sign.  Don't use the usual windshield paper with felt pen
scribbles which blows away in the first breeze and clutters the look of the
vehicle.  Each person wishing to show can certainly provide a sign - made
to a pre-published standard - which is informative, attractive and
personal.  It will certainly cut organization costs and get rid of the
usual sponsor logos and miniscule information provided by the type
presently used.

6. Spend the money saved on trophies on decent souvenirs.  I'd rather have
a nice grille badge than another T-shirt to add to the huge pile I already
own.  Give me a nicely made pin not another goofy hat.  The cost is the
same, or less, in the quantities you can expect.

7.  You can still make up T-shirts, sweat shirts, hats, scarves etc. but
don't include them as part of the registration.

8.  Do include donation auctions and suitcase swap meets as part of the fun
and as a good way to defray expenses but manage them well and make them
short.

Well, Mike, these are a few ideas from my years of playing with old cars. I
hope some of them are useful.  All of them work and can make a better
event.

John MdEwen