Re: MG 2001(long)

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Subject: Re: MG 2001(long)
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:17:48 -0500
At 03:09 PM 1/19/98 -0500, John McEwen wrote:
>Hi Mike:
>
>You raise some good points.  As someone who will never be able to attend
>one of the big shows - unless one is held somewhere within 1500 miles, in a
>location with sensible visitor pricing - I'd like to offer a couple of
>suggestions.
>
>1.  Register people as driving participants and concours participants.
>Charge a lot more for concours participants.  For those who wish to do
>both, find some middle ground.  I personally like shows as well as driving
>activities.  However, it makes a lot more work if a concours level of show
>with good judging is planned.  I personally loathe peer judging and don't
>participate in it.

The systems of judging has been set by tradition of the clubs, hard to
change now.

>2.  Show cars by the last digit of their age.  My '70 would be shown with
>'50 TDs and '60 As and 80 LEs, and any pre-war machines that fit the year
>category.  This would force a true mixing of the field.  You would have 10
>separate areas to look at, each mixed by year.  If you didn't want so many
>categories, do it by two-year groups.  You could have all the 0 years with
>all of the 5s and so forth - making sure to mix it up as much as possible.
>I thind this wouldn't be too much more work for judges and would provide
>some great photo ops.

interesting idea but really way out>
>3.  Use the Pebble Beach approach regarding trailer queens.  All cars must
>be driven on to and off of the site.

There is some thought to this that is being explored as a seperate event.

>4. If no one is willing to judge cars and if only peer judging is expected
>simply don't judge at all.  Let everyone have a good time bragging and call
>it a day.  Why should their be winners and losers - especially losers - at
>a fun event which is part of a fun hobby.  A nice dash plaque and a few
>novelty awards is certainly better than the feeling of being an "also ran".

I totally agree, but many first timers go to an event to get a prize, and
only some get hooked by the club scene itself, and the people in the hobby.
Thus its hard to get rid of the  award car show.

>5.  If a show is planned, insist that all participants provide a decent
>informative sign.  Don't use the usual windshield paper with felt pen
>scribbles which blows away in the first breeze and clutters the look of the
>vehicle.  Each person wishing to show can certainly provide a sign - made
>to a pre-published standard - which is informative, attractive and
>personal.  It will certainly cut organization costs and get rid of the
>usual sponsor logos and miniscule information provided by the type
>presently used.
good idea

>6. Spend the money saved on trophies on decent souvenirs.  I'd rather have
>a nice grille badge than another T-shirt to add to the huge pile I already
>own.  Give me a nicely made pin not another goofy hat.  The cost is the
>same, or less, in the quantities you can expect.
another good idea

>7.  You can still make up T-shirts, sweat shirts, hats, scarves etc. but
>don't include them as part of the registration.
>
>8.  Do include donation auctions and suitcase swap meets as part of the fun
>and as a good way to defray expenses but manage them well and make them
>short.
>
>Well, Mike, these are a few ideas from my years of playing with old cars. I
>hope some of them are useful.  All of them work and can make a better
>event.
>
>John MdEwen

Thanks for your comments

Mike