Driveshafts & Speedos

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Driveshafts & Speedos
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:35:04 -0700 (MST)
Thanks for all the great responses to this MGer's queries...I'm getting some
excellent feedback, which is appreciated...

Driveshafts: as the general consensus pointed out, later B drivetrains had
identical shafts. I guess removing it under the slightly-inaccurate-belief
there *was a difference* has offered up another interesting point. The shaft
from the car, when tapped with a wrench, offers a ringing 'cling', while the
other shaft (that came with the OD) when tapped, offers a dull metalic
'clunk'. Hmmm...methinks the duller resonating shaft would be preferable.
Also, should I fear the tale of these shafts being balanced, and as I'm
installing a new transmission, and shaft - am I in for some vibration?

Speedos: instruments, not the bathing suit...I've picked up wisdom from the
list that a specifically designated OD speedo may not be neccessary. An OD
speedo cable apparently is, however, there's been chat about calibration,
and designation on the face of the instrument. Mine carries a '1280' in fine
print at about 5 o'clock on the lower edge. Is this the clue I'm looking
for? If so, what does it mean?

Quick kudos to Todd Clarke at Clarke Spares & Restoration. Great 'bits'
catalogue. Can't wait for the engine ID plate.

Estimate 2 weeks to engine plucking...disassembly continues...

Terry Williams
'70 BGT (sleeping silently)
'68 roadster (disembowled)