Re: Creation of MGs Newsgroup?

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Creation of MGs Newsgroup?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:48:25 -0600
I would vote "no" as well.  As many listers know, there is already a BBS
on the MG Enthusiasts website that probably works better for that type of
format than a newsgroup would.  There is no spam, a good archive, and you
can pick and choose the threads you want.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:20:09 -0800 Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
writes:
>Bob,
>
>Excellent point. If it turns out that a public list isn't beneficial,
>then I'd
>rathyer not pursue it.  I'd only do it if it had usefulness beyond the
>listserv.  But your point about spam is well taken, as is your point
>about
>Mark giving us this amazing list.  I'll keep you posted as I plan to
>wait a
>bit and see what the consensus is before doing anything.
>
>Thanks agin for the response!
>
>Andy
>
>Robert Allen wrote:
>>
>> Andy Ramm wrote:
>>
>> > I've been thinking of proposing an MGs usenet
>> > group to augment the listserv we have here.
>>
>> I can't imagine why that would be a better deal than what Mark has
>been
>> doing for us for (essentially) free. Not all ISPs carry they same
>news
>> feeds would be the first minor irritation for finding the list.
>>
>> The bigger problem is all the spam. Spam is indiscriminately dumped
>> news lists,  and, more importantly, anyone who contributes to
>newsgroups
>> might as well wear a sign that say "Here is my address, send me
>junk!"
>>
>> I might lurk on a public list but I've given up contributing.
>> --
>> Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
>> BTW: Do you  receive junk mail or weird offers out of the blue?
>Don't
>> respond to any of them. The list harvesters pay more for known
>"active"
>> email addresses.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]