Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:26:47 +0000
> James E Kearman wrote:
>
> > This is "progress." Today's $23,000 Miata won't get you there any faster
> > than the LBCs of years past, but for some reason we associate "more" with
> > "better."
>
>       I've been wanting to post this question to the list for some time, and
>James
> has just given me the line to start on!  Ok, does anybody else get the
>feeling that
> the only people who can appreciate our LBC's are the people who believe that
>newer
> isn't *always* better?  I've met a few car buffs who think that my MGB isn't
>as good
> as their newer T*yota's and Niss*ns.  Of course, I concede the point that
>their cars
> have a more refined interior and have little comforts like cupholders and
>non-leaking
> tops.  What burns me up is their response when I tell them that I plan on
>traveling
> about 600 miles in my MGB next year to go to college.  I get comments like
>"It'll
> never make it" or "Better take some spare parts."  These folks don't know, or
>for that
> matter, they don't care to know that my MGB is functioning just like their
>$20k
> marvels and that my eye for detail would spot many serious problems in
>advance.  They
> just see a '74 MG and add age to usage and come up with a vehicle that
>shouldn't
> travel further than 60 miles from home!  Does anybody else get this?  My
>final point
> it this, and I tell them this everytime they get a recall letter from the
>dealer:
> Newer isn't always better.  Gentlemen and ladies, thank you for the bandwidth
>to get
> this off my chest.
> --
> Michael S. Lishego

Michael,
        In general, I agree with you, and have gotten many of the same
comments.  In defense of the newer cars though, "improvements" are
all a matter of what you find important.  Newer cars have
warranties, more crash-resistant spaceframes, air bags, anti-lock
brakes, rear disc brakes, padded convertible tops, factory air
conditioning, more efficient engines (in terms of fuel consumption
compared to horsepower), fewer emissions, they don't have to adjust
points, top off the oil in their carburetors, or add oil to their
1920's technology shock absorbers.  They can get parts without having
to mail order them, and they can honestly go longer between tune-ups
and other routine maintenance.  In stock form, an MGB doesn't handle
as well as the Miata or any of the other new road-rockets, either.
        Now, having said all that, why do I drive an MGB and not a Boxster
or Miata or Z3?  I like the MGB more.  I like that I can work on it
myself, afford parts for maintanence and modifications, and the
insurance is cheap.  I like that I didn't pay $23000 for a Miata,
knowing that I'll see five just like it on my drive to work.
        Keep in mind that you are kind of preaching to the choir here on
this list.  We're all mechanically-inclined, or will learn, possibly
in the next few minutes!  The majority of the car-buying public
isn't, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  They have also gotten
used to a certain level of comfort and reliability.  I know, I know,
our cars are just as reliable as the new ones, but at the expense of
MUCH more routine maintenance.  For us, it's no big deal, but don't
project our values and priorities on anybody else.  After all, if our
cars are so ideal in their stock form, why are there so many threads
on the list about:

Converting to a single battery
Stopping rust here/there/everywhere
Converting to a different alternator
Switching to electronic ignition/dual-point distributor/etc.
What other kind of engine can I put in my MGB?
What other kind of tranny can I put in my MGB?
How can I update my intake/exhaust?
Putting Dodge Colt shocks on an MGB
Putting Moss coil-overs on an MGB
Putting SPAX shocks on an MGB
Adding an anti-swaybar to an MGB
How much bigger can I go on tires?
Why doesn't this light/fan/motor/switch work???

The list goes on.  Keep in mind that not all of the above are
strictly about improving performance.  Several of them address known
and accepted shortcomings (or at the very least, compromises) in the
original design.

I love my MGB as much as anybody, and won't be buying a new
convertible anytime soon, but let's remember that not all the world
shares our priorities and needs.
Scott