Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars: (was: Re: Sinking feeling about Inter
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:36:27 +0000
> > James E Kearman wrote:
> >
> > > This is "progress." Today's $23,000 Miata won't get you there any faster
> > > than the LBCs of years past, but for some reason we associate "more" with
> > > "better."

One last comment on this-- Has anyone taken into account that nasty
little thing called "inflation" when comparing our old cars to a new
"$23,000 Miata"?  Surely there's an economics major on the list.
Find that inflation chart that references everything to 1966 dollars
and find out how much a $23,000 car today would have cost in 1966 or
1962, and compare it to an MGB.  If you read Porter's book on
purchase and restoration of MGBs, he says that for the money an MGC
cost new, you could have TWO six-cylinder Capris, AND an Austin Mini!
 How much would a new MG roadster cost today?  Just look at the
MGF...
Scott