Re: "Auto Starter"

To: mgbob@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Auto Starter"
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:44:27 EST
In a message dated 2/2/98 12:31:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, mgbob@juno.com
writes:

> Texaco has sent me an advert for a device called "Auto Starter".  It is
>  described as being a sealed 14.5v alkaline battery with 5 amps "of
>  recharge power to start your vehicle". The thing plugs into the cigar
>  lighter
>  snip  <
>    Questions--how can this little thing (2.5 x 7.5 x 1.875 inches)
>  provide the power to crank over an engine, and how can cigar lighter
>  wires carry enough current for the starter motor?

Bob,

It can't. They won't.  I have seen these things advertised, and I assumed they
were meant to give your car battery a quick charge so you could use it for
starting.  Even at that, I am more than a little bit skeptical.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74