Re: "Auto Starter"

To: saschris@flash.net, Nory@webtv.net, gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: "Auto Starter"
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:42:28 EST
In a message dated 2/3/98 2:25:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, saschris@flash.net
writes:

> Two points that may be worth mentioning:  The 8-15 amp rating is for
>  continuous use.  Starters don't (o.k. shouldn't) be run for long periods.
>  Also, unless your battery is completely dead, only a portion of the
>  required amperage is coming from the cables, there is still a lot of
>  current sourcing capability in a patially discharged battery, just not
>  enough to spin the starter often times.

Chris,

You are absolutely right.  However, 30 amps through a 15 amp wire doesn't take
too long to over heat, and would probably zap a 8 amp wire pretty quickly.
While you and I, and the others on this list, might have a good feel for how
much juice is left in the battery, I certainly wouldn't want my wife to have
to rely on them (my wife is no dummy, by any means, but auto electricals is
not her strong suit!).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74