Re: "Auto Starter"

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: "Auto Starter"
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:02:55 +0000
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

>   Texaco has sent me an advert for a device called "Auto Starter".  It is
> described as being a sealed 14.5v alkaline battery with 5 amps "of
> recharge power to start your vehicle". The thing plugs into the cigar
> lighter
>   Questions--how can this little thing (2.5 x 7.5 x 1.875 inches)
> provide the power to crank over an engine, and how can cigar lighter
> wires carry enough current for the starter motor?

I don't know about the device you describe, but I plug my battery charger into
the cigar lighter to charge the battery - no surprises there (although it has
caused several comments of the type "You can't plug a battery charger into
the cigar lighter, stupid" along the way).  But I have discovered that when
the battery hasn't enough oomph to turn the engine and provide enough spark
to start it, plugging the charger in and then turning the key immediately i.e
without waiting for the battery to charge, turns the engine turns over much
faster and usually starts it as well.

PaulH.