Re: MGB Seat Diaphragm

To: borisri@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: MGB Seat Diaphragm
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:45:01 EST
On Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:00:57 +0100 "Richard A. Boris"
<borisri@earthlink.net> writes:
>Hi Everyone:
>
>Need help from the list: I am presently restoring the seats for a
>1966/67 MGB Roadster and need the foam kit. I had a conversation with
>the Proper MG today about the kit they which includes all the foam,
>diaphragm, and seat back stiffener. The sales person told me that
>there
>have been problems with the diaphragms being manufactured undersized,
>thus preventing them from being installed wit the hooks. They are
>presently back ordering the diaphragms to a new manufacturer. Did
>anyone
>on the list have this problem?, or is it that some technique such as
>using a hair dryer to expand the rubber during installation was not
>used. Nice of a supplier to tell you of a problem before your order.
>
>                                                       Thanks: Rich
>Boris, 67 B Roadster

Hi Rich - yes it is nice of them to tell you in advance (bet bloody Jeep
wouldnt.....)
Personally i dont like any of the repro systems available, the rubber
diaphragms
are murder to put on the frame, undersized or not figure losing the skin
off 3 or 4 fingers and saying words your mother wouldnt approve of,
Webbing systems are easier to instal but have a tendency to stretch -
sometimes quite soon after you put them on.
For a very small cost you can do a job that will outlast the car  -
Obtain  two of the square frames used for the webbing version, take them
to an uphoulsterer or a seamstress for that matter and have them covered
with canvas.
Last time i did it i was charged $12
The clips are still easily installed (only 1 or 2 skinless fingers) and
the result is
outstanding.

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]