Bunch of Questions on 77B Restoration

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bunch of Questions on 77B Restoration
From: David Altman <DAltman@novations.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:41:25 -0700
Hi Everyone:

        I'm in the initial throws of taking apart my 77B for
restoration.  Got most of the interior out and plan on pulling the
engine out this weekend.   I've looked through my books and various
references but am at a loss to answer the following questions.  Sorry
for the volume of q's and/or the ignorance of them.

- Are there specific lift points for pulling the engine out?  Do you
need to make some kind of jig or just wrap nylon webbing or chain around
it to pull it out with an engine lift?

- Once the engine is out can you use any generic engine stand or do I
need specific mounting plate or something?

- Is trying to replace the diver floor board and the driver inner/outer
sill set a stupid thing to try to do as a novice?   How big is the risk
of totally putting the body out of alignment? (I'm excited about buying
a welder!)

- Can I assume if all the interior panels (floorboards, inner panels
etc.) are red that the car was originally red, despite a horrible try at
a BRG paint job that it now chipping away?

- How much should I expect to pay to have the engine block bored out and
the heads redone?  What's the minimum I could have a shop do and do the
rest of the rebuild myself?

- For all the inner panels: what's the process for refinishing them
before all the interior stuff goes back in?  Do I sand them all down and
use rust system like POR or Carroless?  Then have it finished the same
as the body paint job in a shop?  Engine Compartment as well?

- How about the body after I get the rusted floor board and sill taken
care of?  Should I take it down to bare metal and have the shop do the
whole job primer on up? Or Should I attempt to prime it myself?

- Last one:  Looks like the PO drove down a road that the asphalt hadn't
quite set.  There is gobs of road tar etc. attached to all the
suspension parts. I can get most of it off with a screwdriver but it
looks pretty beat up.  What if any thoughts on pulling all the parts and
getting them sandblasted and then paint them up?   Should I attempt to
sand and repaint the whole under carriage?

Thanks for your patience...  I'm learning slowly but surely.

David

David J. Altman Novations Group Inc.    daltman@novations.com
801-3757525     Fax 801-375-7595              "Nothing Profound at the
Moment"