Re: Bunch of Questions on 77B Restoration

To: DAltman@novations.com
Subject: Re: Bunch of Questions on 77B Restoration
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 19:56:31 EST
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:41:25 -0700 David Altman <DAltman@novations.com>
writes:
>Hi Everyone:

>>- Are there specific lift points for pulling the engine out?  Do you
>need to make some kind of jig or just wrap nylon webbing or chain
>around
>it to pull it out with an engine lift?

The two bolts that come up through the valve cover and two points on the
block that (as i recall) are shown in the manual - the top two take the
strain and the lower ones are for tilting

>- Once the engine is out can you use any generic engine stand or do I
>need specific mounting plate or something?

Dunno - it doesnt matter on a pile of pallets!

>- Is trying to replace the diver floor board and the driver
>inner/outer sill set a stupid thing to try to do as a novice?   How big
is the
>risk of totally putting the body out of alignment? (I'm excited about
>buying a welder!)

Personally i wouldnt do it but then ive never welded anything - there was
a step-by-step procedure for floor panels i saw in a magazine not too
long ago. might have been MG enthusiast, might have been British Car -
does anyone remember?
Porter shows sill replacement very well

>- Can I assume if all the interior panels (floorboards, inner panels
>etc.) are red that the car was originally red, despite a horrible try
>at
>a BRG paint job that it now chipping away?

yes

>- How much should I expect to pay to have the engine block bored out
>and the heads redone?  What's the minimum I could have a shop do and do
>the rest of the rebuild myself?

I'll leave this to the technical mavens and youre own confidence level!

>- For all the inner panels: what's the process for refinishing them
>before all the interior stuff goes back in?  Do I sand them all down
>and
>use rust system like POR or Carroless?  Then have it finished the same
>as the body paint job in a shop?  Engine Compartment as well?

It entirely depends on the level of restoration you are going for/can
afford - if you are TOTALLY stripping the car and rebuilding EVERYTHING
then its best to have the whole shell sandblasted and painted at once -
taking everything out of the engine compartment is a BIG job - if you are
not going the sandblast route then it really doesnt matter whats under
the carpets or behind the panels as long as all the rust is gone and the
metal is properly treated and primed, I have three colours inside my GT
(used up all tht good stuff in the workshop!!) - but nobody knew.....
until now!

>- How about the body after I get the rusted floor board and sill taken
>care of?  Should I take it down to bare metal and have the shop do the
>whole job primer on up? Or Should I attempt to prime it myself?

How good do you want it and how much can you afford??

>- Last one:  Looks like the PO drove down a road that the asphalt
>hadn't quite set.  There is gobs of road tar etc. attached to all the
>suspension parts. I can get most of it off with a screwdriver but it
>looks pretty beat up.  What if any thoughts on pulling all the parts
>and
>getting them sandblasted and then paint them up?   Should I attempt to
>sand and repaint the whole under carriage?

Same answer - if you're doing a full restoration and money isnt an issue
you can do anything!!

>Thanks for your patience...  I'm learning slowly but surely.

As are we all......

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]