Re: Starting Problem

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:21:39 -0500
Ross,
I suspect it would be the solenoid. Mechanically it works - you can hear it
click - but the contacts inside may be shot or the contacts for the wires
to the starter are corroded/ing. Check the connections at the starter also.
If it is the solenoid it should be a pretty easy fix. When I bought my 76
parts car recently, it had a push button stuck in the center part of the
console. Turns out the PO went to a lot of trouble to bypass the solenoid,
connecting the switch between the key and the starter. After cleaning the
contacts on the solenoid I got that system working, the engine starts
normally and now I have slated the parts car for eventual restoration.

At 06:28 PM 2/10/98 -0500, "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net> wrote:
>Ok folks this happens on an occasional basis, but as with most occasional
>happenings it is never at a good time!
>
>Get in car insert key in ignition switch turn key, idiot ligth comes on fuel
>pump is working, but guess what?  The starter doesn't turn over.  A clicking
>noise from the relay next to the fuse box is it.  Fiddle with the key a few
>times and if I'm lucky the car will turn over.  If I'm not I lie down on the
>passengers side and jump the terminal from the solenoid to the hot wire from
>the battery an bingo she turns over.
>
>Now the Prince of Darkness has got me here.  I realize this is something
>electrical, ie not the starter motor per se. (Thank God, I've gone through
>enough of those).  But I can't for the life of me figure it out.  It
>happened again this morning.  I started the car warmed it up a bit pulled
>out of the drive, parked the car, came back 5 minutes later and guess what
>you got it no start.
>
>So if any one has a brilliant or not so brilliant suggestion I will be happy
>to take them...
>
>Safety Fast !!!
>
>Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer MA
>http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca/index.htm

Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB
'76 MGB