Re: Starting Problem

To: jroverca@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:45:53 EST
Ross.
 I had exactly the same problem with my 72 a few months back.
 In my case, the problem turned out to be a poor ground through the
starter itself, to the block (rear mount plate). What I did was to remove
the starter and clean the area on the face of the starter that mounted
against the engine, and likewise the area on the engine where the starter
mounted. Problem ended.
 As a long term solution, I added a ground strap from the upper starter
mounting bolt to the chassis. You can pick up one ready made with the
correct ends from the local chain auto parts stores.
 Good luck
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:28:21 -0500 "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>
writes:
>Ok folks this happens on an occasional basis, but as with most
>occasional
>happenings it is never at a good time!
>
>Get in car insert key in ignition switch turn key, idiot ligth comes
>on fuel
>pump is working, but guess what?  The starter doesn't turn over.  A
>clicking
>noise from the relay next to the fuse box is it.  Fiddle with the key
>a few
>times and if I'm lucky the car will turn over.  If I'm not I lie down
>on the
>passengers side and jump the terminal from the solenoid to the hot
>wire from
>the battery an bingo she turns over.
>
>Now the Prince of Darkness has got me here.  I realize this is
>something
>electrical, ie not the starter motor per se. (Thank God, I've gone
>through
>enough of those).  But I can't for the life of me figure it out.  It
>happened again this morning.  I started the car warmed it up a bit
>pulled
>out of the drive, parked the car, came back 5 minutes later and guess
>what
>you got it no start.
>
>So if any one has a brilliant or not so brilliant suggestion I will be
>happy
>to take them...
>
>Safety Fast !!!
>
>Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer MA
>http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca/index.htm

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]