Re: America's True Daredevils "LBC owners"

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: America's True Daredevils "LBC owners"
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 07:52:18 PST
At 07:35 AM 2/12/98 -0800, John J. Peloquin wrote:

>I've heard similar stories about the survivability of our LBCs in the
>past. What I have been told is that because computer similation and CAD
>were not available to the engineers that designed LBCs, they calculated
>the necessary strengths as best they could, then added a larger margin of
>error than designers do today. Thus our cars are stronger than they need
>to be and survive collisions better than one would predict given their
>size.

That's a possiblity.  I'd bet the service life of a DC3 is far
longer than that of an AirBus A310.

Take a look at the pix of crash tested MGBs.  The cars were a foot
or more shorter front and rear, with the suspensions collapsed,
however the cockpit was unharmed.  Even the one 'B I've seen
that was in a "no survivors" incident had an intact cockpit with
doors that still opened and closed.  *Wear your seatbelts kids!*

But, while the 'B is a tough old monocoque, there are just some
things I wouldn't want to try in say a Bugeye.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/