Winter Rebuilds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Winter Rebuilds
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:04:58 -0600
I just finished rebuilding the A's generator.  I replaced the front and
rear bearings and the brushes.  I also had to reinforce the paper insulator
between the thru bolt and the wire connecting the field windings together-
duct tape strikes again.

The cost of this endeavor?  6.00 for the front bearing locally (I wanted a
sealed bearing instead of the open bearing originally used), 2.50 for the
brushes, and .60 for the rear bush.  I also bought 3 10-32 X 1 SST screws
to replace the rivets that held the front bearing in place.  So about 10.00
bucks total.  FWIW the old bearings looked pretty good but the front one
had quite a bit of play in it so better safe than sorry.

The most interesting discovery was that the generator bearings are metric.
Also, the rear bearing is a plain bronze affair- not sintered so it has no
oil holding properties.  I trashed to old oil felt and retainer when I
pulled the old bush so I made new ones out of a steering column bearing
(thick felt) and a star washer.  I used red Loctite on the bearing retainer
screw and also on the bearing itself.  The original front bearing was
staked into the front cover.  Rather I just glued the new one in.  To
remove the rear bush I used a 5/8 tap thru the center.  To install it I
used a 3-jaw puller with a flat adapter on the lead screw.  I hooked the
jaws thru the rear cover and used the lead screw to drive in the bearing.

My goal is to make the A ready for any long range trip I may wish to take.
The plan is to replace/ service the as many of the bearings as possible. I
have now done the rods, mains, dizzy, and generator.  I have a new water
pump in the garage.  I have serviced the front wheel bearings.  Next up are
the rear wheel bearings.  I have greased the u-joints and they seem OK.  I
still need to do the clutch so while it is out I may look at the tranny.

The way I look at it, as long as everything still turns, you have a chance
of getting where you are going.  I can live without turn signals if need be
but I won't get far if a rear wheel bearing packs it in or my generator
freezes and the water pump quits turning.

Replacing the bearings is phase 2 of this project.  Phase one occurred last
year with the replacement of all rubber hoses and fluids.  Cars don't go
far with no antifreeze or brake fluid.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA undergoing preservation, not restoration.