Conundrum(LBC related this time)

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Conundrum(LBC related this time)
From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:39:40 -0600
G'day all,
I fitted a Crane ignition unit to my GT a couple of weeks ago.  It works
just fine now, but I'm not quite sure why.  I set the timing as per the
instructions, with the static timing about 11 deg. BTDC as per the MG
manual.  However at that setting the engine would hardly run at all.  I
found I had to advance it significantly to get it to run smoothly.  Now
it runs just fine, nice idle, fuel consumption is back up to SUV levels,
(used to be motor home).  The problem I had with backfiring on gear
changes when the engine was cold has gone away.  The only thing is that
timing, (as indicated by the mark on the crank pulley and a digital
timing light), is at a really weird value, (about 69 deg.).  This leads
me to conclude that either my engine likes LOTS of advance or the mark
on the pulley is way off.  Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
Simon