Re: Conundrum(LBC related this time)

To: "Simon Bosworth" <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Conundrum(LBC related this time)
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:33:46 -0800
Gee, Simon, I wish I was psychic so I could tell the year of your car!
Still, it's a GT so that narrows the options.....let's assume it's a
pre-18V engine.....there's a good chance the rubber ring in your harmonic
balancer is deteriorating, allowing the outer ring to rotate slowly away
from its original position on the inner ring. This will, of course, move
the timing mark away from its proper position, leading to strange readings.

You can check by bringing No. 1 piston to TDC (take out the spark plug and
feel the top of the piston through the hole with a thin screwdriver -
carefully). If the timing mark on the pulley is still in the right place
relative to the pointer, then this whole message was a waste of

Lawrie