Synthetic Grease

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Synthetic Grease
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:48:01 -0600
I asked this question on the Jaguar XJ-S list and got no replies, so I
thought I would try the collective wisdom on this list.  I know it ain't
MG, but it is LBC!

The V-12 XJ-S is notorious for seized centrifugal distributor advance
mechanisms due to the factory spec grease solidifying.  The theory is
that since the distributor lies right in the middle of the V of the
engine, it is subject to both high temperatures and myriad gasses that
eventually solidify the grease.  The advice I have received so far is to
lube it with synthetic oil, which won't break down over time as the
grease tends to do.

However, while gathering materials for my distributor rebuild, I came
across a couple of brands of synthetic grease.  Unfortunately, none of
the packaging I found really detailed the utility or temperature
tolerances of the synthetic grease.  Assuming that its properties are
similar to that of synthetic oil, however, shouldn't it make a good
candidate for this purpose?  Anyone have any experience with synthetic
grease or familiar with its applications?

TIA

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]