Quick Garage Heater Question

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Quick Garage Heater Question
From: Alan Pfau <apfau@ismi.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:34:55 -0600
Hi All,

My "old reliable" gas furnace has started putting out carbon monoxide
(Yikes!) so I guess I'm in the market for a heater. I see at my local
hardware store a small natural gas heater rated at a variable 14,000 -
28,000 btu. I like it because of its size (a small wall mount unit), and no
ventilation requirements and relativlely low price (it has a thermostatic
control and blower). It claims to heat up to 1,000 sq ft on the box and my
garage/shop is only about 500 sq. ft. It's made by "Comfort Air" I think.

        In your opinion, will this do a good job for me? My old furnace was one
of
those hang from the ceiling types and probably was about 75,000 - 100,000
btu so I've been pretty spoiled (It only took about 5 min to heat my garage
to T-shirt warmth in the dead of winter!) I really don't like the
salamander types and want to stick to natural gas out of convenience (I
know, I know, I have to live with an open flame)
        I'd really like to get it replaced this week if possible. The one I'm
looking at is on sale at around $300. To replace the type I've got would be
around $700.

(By the way, my garage has insulated walls, garage door and ceiling)

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Alan Pfau
apfau@ismi.net
TC, TD, TF, B-GT-V8