Re: Distributor Points

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, "Les Myer" <lmyer@qtm.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor Points
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 98 10:58:54 -0500
On 2/20/98 11:20 PM so and so  David Ramsey said. (And I quote)

>Hi Les,
>       I remove the distributor to change the points in my car.  It's a lot
>easier to gap the points on the bench than in the car!  I have scribed a
>mark on the distributor and the clamp.  I just remove the distributor,
>replace the points, gap them, install the distributor, line up the marks
>and tighten the clamp.  For some reason my dwell meter doesn't work on my
>Bug-I's I guess its that pos ground thing.   Because dwell affects timing
>and timing doesn't affect dwell when my timing is off I adjust the points.
>Is there a better way to do this?  If your dwell meter works on your car
>just install the points crank the motor and adjust the dwell to spot-on
>while cranking and tighten the screw.  Thats how I do it on my cars that
>my dwell meter works on.
>                       Crash
Sorry to be so ignorant but what the hell is dwell and why is it so
important?

I set the points on the top of the lobe. And it seems to me that dwell is
how long the gap is open. Correct?  If the plug fires when the gap opens
what does dwell have to do with it? The plug fires when the gap opens -
right? and then it fires the next time the gap opens. If the points are
set correctly - does that not mean the dwell is right? Set the timing and
advance with a timing light and go. Or am I missing something here??

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Sorry I really want to know.