Getting an MGA to run...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Getting an MGA to run...
From: RatiganJ@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:00:50 EST
Fellow listers....

     Before I bought my MGA, I had never driven one.  I had owned a Austin
Healy 3000 and and a 80 MGB, so I was familiar with LBC's.  My MGA had sat in
a field for 15 years and had a frozen engine when I aquired it.  I rebuilt the
brakes, etc.  and had the engine professionally rebuilt.  I rebuilt the carbs
and installed the engine.  After some troubles and much help from listers
Barney Gaylord and George Merryweather (amongst others), I got the car running
and it was as smooth as a sewing machine.  Now, here is the problem.
Sometimes, the engine starts right up and other times, the engine turns and
turns and turns without so much as a firing of a single cylinder.  Last
weekend, I was setting up the Colortune to do the "final" adustment on the
carbs (the jet height) and the motor up and quit and would not fire again.
When I rebuilt the car, I did not replace the coil nor the fuel pump.  Could
this perhaps be the problem?  Or are the carbs so unbelieveably tempermental
that they must be exactly set before the engine ever fires?  Could the fuel
pump be working only upon occassion?  Should the fuel pump "click" every time
the ignition iis turned on?  (It seems that it does not always click).

     A bit frustrating at this point.  I though the combined wisdom of the
list might give me some help (as it has so often in the past).

TIA

Joe Ratigan
'58 Roadster (in the full rest position)