Re: Getting an MGA to run...

To: RatiganJ@aol.com
Subject: Re: Getting an MGA to run...
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:19:39 -0600
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:00:50 EST RatiganJ@aol.com writes:
>Should the fuel pump "click" every time
>the ignition iis turned on?

Yes.  You can check to see if the carbs are getting fuel by merely
unscrewing the bolt covering the float bowl.  No fuel, bad pump.

I guarantee that if you haven't done anything to the pump after it sat in
a field for fifteen years, the points are corroded.  I gave up on SU type
fuel pumps last year in favor of an electronic pump made by Facet.  It
comes in various brand names, but it looks like a cube (see Moss catalog
for picture).  I bought mine at Western Auto with the Purolator brand
name on it and I paid $30.  Moss sells them for $60.  You can install it
with a couple feet of rubber fuel line and two hose clamps.  The mounting
bolt holes match the ones the SU uses exactly.  Make sure you get the low
pressure version, I think it says 2 to 5 lbs., whereas the high pressure
says 7 to 12 lbs. or thereabouts.  If you get the high pressure, you will
have to install a pressure regulator.

Good luck!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]