Re: Getting an MGA to run...

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Getting an MGA to run...
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:01:47 -0800 (PST) (Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:01 UT)
>that they must be exactly set before the engine ever fires?  Could the fuel
 pump be working only upon occassion?  Should the fuel pump "click" every time
< the ignition iis turned on?  (It seems that it does not always click).

 A properly adjusted SU fuel pump should give an occasional *tick* once
the float chambers are full.  If the car has been sitting for 24 hours
and you don't get at least a few *tick*tickTick*s out of it, I'd go back
in front of the right rear wheel and give a few taps to the end of the
pump with the plastic end of a screwdriver.
If the pump suddenly starts up, then the points need to be replaced.
Moss sells the points for a few dollars.  It's not worth it to clean
them up, because they'll go bad again pretty quickly.
Another way to check would be to turn off the ignition again, and then
open up the float chambers to see if there is any fuel in there.
Another possibility would be if both needles were sticking in the float
chamber jets.  It's not so far-fetched: it happened to me with some old Grose
jets...

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*