Re: (forw) MGB Ownership

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>,
Subject: Re: (forw) MGB Ownership
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:44:36 -0800 (PST) (23:44 UT)
>You obviously love them, what gives?  Since I won't be able to do the
 mechanical myself, am I making a mistake in buying one?  Should I try
 something else?  It will just be a car I drive 1,000 to 2,000 miles per year
 after I restore it.

< Help.....please e-mail me with your thoughts at Shepherd25@aol.com

 Well, you start with "I have fallen in love with..."  That is the first
prerequisite to MG-ownership.  You don't own an MG as you would a vehicle.
You don't buy an MG as an expenditure for transportation.  If that's what
you want, then you should read consumer reports and buy their best buy.
You get an MG because you get involved with the car.  Sort of like
starting a relationship.  They get under your skin.  Really. And under
your fingernails, in your hair, etc.
My MG-BGT was bought by my father new in 1966.  He gave it to me in 1971.
I learned to drive in it.  I've been driving it to work almost every day
for twenty years.  My dad also has a 1949 MG-TC.  I bought a 1957 MG-A
to round out the stable.  They're fun to own.  Last week some fifteen
year old kid in a crosswalk with a big grin started pointing frantically
at my car and giving me a big thumbs-up.  How often does that happen to
a 45-year-old-fart?  You will have the satisfaction of knowing that your
next-door-neighbor can't go out and buy one just like yours.  You will
get looks.  People will ask you all sorts of questions.

  You will lose count of how many times people will say to you "You
know, I used to own an MG.  I wish I'd never sold it."
Yeah. Sometimes they break down.  You have to know your MG.  You will get
to know your MG.  You will know that the funny little sound you hear
today wasn't there yesterday and you'd better check it out to head off
a problem.  You'll learn to do some of your own work.  And you won't mind.
Mainly because the lunkhead mechanics who charge by the job and like
yank out and replace entire assemblies rather than repair them won't
like your nice, simple, repairable MG.
 It's not surprising the guy didn't like MGs.  He was in the business of
selling cars.  A commodity.   MGs have never been a commodity.  Each has
its quirks, a personality.  How many people give names to their cars?
How many people keep cars for decades?  How many people are willing
restore a car from the ground up and then drive it?

  You really do know why we love our cars, don't you?  You just wanted
confirmation.  Best of luck, the list is here for you.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*