Re: Hand-Starting a TC/TD

To: MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Hand-Starting a TC/TD
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 07:26:41 EST
Hi Mark,
  That hole at the engine end of the crank is supposed to have a pin
mounted permanently in it.  The pin would be the equivalent to your nut
and bolt, but the pin is permanent.  It's long enough to engage the nut
on the pulley, but short enough to allow the crank to be parked in the
clips behind the seat. If you think you would like to install one, let me
know and I'll measure the length and diameter of the one in my car.
Bob

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:45:58 -0800 Mark Sherman
<MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Bud:
>
>After being away for a week I've been going through some last week's
>posting and I noted
>your suggestions re hand starting.  I've used my crank for adjusting
>the valves but
>never for starting the car.  What's all this about "the dog on the
>nut?"  My crank just
>had a hole in the end through which I put a nut and a bolt to catch
>the end of the
>crankshaft. Am I missing something?
>
>Mark Sherman
>'53 TD (supercharged!)
>

>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:04:31 -0500
>From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
>Subject: Re: TC Adventures
>
>rd,
>    There are a few important items that John inadvertently omitted.
>First and
>foremost. DO NOT PUT THE WEB OF YOUR HAND OVER THE CRANK! You thumb
>should
>(must) be on the same side of the handle as your fingers. This is to
>avoid the
>possibility of the crank breaking your hand. Remember that the TD does
>not have
>a slow-running control. Pulling the choke out accomplishes this.
>Insert the
>crank into the nut on the end of the crank and slowly rotate the crank
>(clockwise) until the engine is just about to begin a compression
>stroke as you
>about to pull the crank upward from its lowest position. Remember that
>you can
>rotate the crank backwards in the dog (nut) to change the location by
>half a
>turn. The ONLY fast action that you make with the crank is to pull it
>up from
>the six o'clock position toward 12 o'clock. Do not attempt to go
>beyond the 12
>o'clock position. Never push down on the crank. The dog on the nut is
>designed
>to push the crank pin out of the nut once the engine starts. Make
>certain that
>your crank is an easy fit into the dog with no excessive drag from the
>bumper,
>bar, shell or radiator support.
>     Forty years ago I went for a month with the choice of groceries
>or a new
>battery. Learned a lot about cranking. Fortunately I was in San Diego
>at the
>time.
>
>Bud Krueger
>52TD
>p.s. As John said -- remember to turn the key on.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]