Re: Battery storage

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Battery storage
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:31:39 +0000
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> A very similar topic was just discussed recently on the Triuph list.  FWIW, I
> have repeated my comments to that thread below, hoping it will be of some
> value here.
> *********
> Better late than never, I guess, but FWIW, I would like to offer a few
> observations concerning the recent thread on battery charging and chargers:

Slight snip

My former employers run telephone exchanges off 50v batteries - and by that I
mean 24
2.2v cells *each* of which could be at much as three feet high and two feet
square.
After many years of comparative trials of charge/discharge and constant charge,
they
settled on the latter.  This is where a mains power plant supplies the load and
the
battery just sits there fully charged waiting for the occasional power cut i.e.
just
like our cars except for the starting.  BTW, the bus-bars that fed the load in
large exchange could be up to one foot square in cross-section, and one could
get some
spectacular explosions if one accidentally happened to bridge them!

Also, a charger capable of supplying about 13v or so at 10-20 Amps is extremely
useful
at starting the car within a couple of minutes of connection without boiling
the cells
with a high voltage.

PaulH.