Re: Engine year?

To: Jason Sawyer <jason.sawyer@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Engine year?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 14:59:45 -0800
Jason Sawyer wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>     Some of you may remember that about a month ago I had a question
> about the oil filter on my 79 MGB. The filter that the book recommended
> was not the same as the one that was installed when I bought the car.
>     Now, I've noticed that the front engine mounts both have a 1/2
> (aprox) inch thick metal spacer between the engine and the mount. What
> gives? I didn't pay for a 100% original car, so I'm not mad but at the
> same time I'd like to know what I have. The plate on the engine is
> missing, so that's no help. Maybe one of you has some insight?

        OK, here's a question for you:  Does the head have inlets for the air
pump and
original smog equipment?  If there is a pipe with four fittings that enters the
head
right about the spark plugs?  If so, I believe you have an original 18V head.
Other
than that, you might be able to match the oil filter mounting plate with one in
a Moss
or VB catalogue to give you an idea of the year engine you have.  Good Luck!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College