Best Models?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Best Models?
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:07:29 EST
A lot of stuff lately on which are the best models of Mg to own, so I thought
I'd throw my .02c worth in. If I gore your pet ox, remember, it's just my
opinion.

Starting from least desirable : the Midgets. Not as much a "secretary's" car
as a Spitfire, but pretty similar. On the street, make the right noises and go
slow, are somewhat cramped. On the track, of course, a totally different
story, but I'm talking about street use here. Make sure to get a 1275 car.

Next worst - rubber lipped late MGBs. The rubber bumpers are liked by some
(one guy even converted an MGC to rubber bumper!!), but the raised suspension
and wimpy engine are loathed by most. Worse performance than a 59 MGA, and
even if you put an older style engine in it, then you have to start redoing
the suspension, just to try to get back to the point at which the earlier cars
start. But then some people like masochism, I'm told.

Next better model - early MGB roadster and GT. The latter is a bit neglected -
it is a very useful and reasonably comfortable touring car. The roadster
styling is classic, and the mechanicals pretty rugged if mundane. I like the
67-68 cars but some like the 63-64, and some like the later all synch trans
cars, but before they were seriously smogged (castrated).

One more stage up - MGC - again, a very underrated car. Never have the
excitement of a tuned 4 cylinder engine, but will literally do 100 mph all day
comfortably. The best touring car of the lot, and the GT arguably the best of
the 'C's, although heavier and slower. Handling not nearly as bad as reported,
and _much_ easier to remedy than a late model B. Rarity value will appeal to
some.

An intermediate stage - B V8 - rare, but used a low power version of the Rover
engine. Feel like a TR 8 in terms of performance, which means a bit boring
unless tuned. I'd rate these even with the C, many would rate them ahead of
the C.

Next - MGA. Personal preference, but I like the styling of the A best of all,
notwithstanding the drawbacks of luggage space inferior to the B. Bit hot in
the summer for touring, and in any but the 1600 Mk2, a bit lacking in power.
1500 really needs discs as well. Many cars retrofitted with B motors (I
personally like the 3-main form) and make decent touring cars, although the
best for that use is definitely the Coupe. A bit scarce, but much nicer for
highway work, and you get some forced draft from the quarter windows, while
your friends in the roadsters are baking.

Best of all - Twincam, either coupe or roadster. Much maligned, these cars are
a quantum leap above the normal A and B. With the best and most powerful
version of the B series engine ever built, and Dunlop discs all around, with a
close ratio box and a 4:55 rear end, these cars can keep up with much newer
machines and make you smile while doing it. The rep for unreliability was due
to some engine problems not sorted out until after production ended, and no
real problem today. If you ever get to drive one in good tune, going back to a
normal A or B will be tough.

Those are just my impressions formed from owning most of the cars (not the
V-8), and driving the others.
It won't surprise you that I own a couple of Twincams, a 1600 Mk2 coupe with
Twincam brakes and a 3 main B engine, and a C roadster.

Bill S.