Re: Quandry..14" or 15" Wheels for MGB

To: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com
Subject: Re: Quandry..14" or 15" Wheels for MGB
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:50:32 EST

> Something everyone overlooks when they go to 195 series tires - if you
>  are running an MGB-GT, the spare tire/wheel will no longer fit under the
>  load floor.  I now have a permanent circular groove in the vinyl
>  material above the spare in my GT V-8 - irritating to say the least.
>  Now I am on a quest to find some 175-14s, the OE tire size for the V-8.
>
>  Also, the 195s make the car steer like a truck, particularly in parking
>  maneuvers. I know that all of the boy racers out there will come back
>  with discussion of adhesion and turn-in and contact patches, etc., but I
>  prefer the original size tires, both for looks and overall "feel".
>  Remember that I'm into general touring and not autocrossing, etc.  YMMV.

Paul:

I just got some 175/65R14 Michelins from Sam's Club. They look minute compared
to the blimps the DPO had on the car. They handle much better and I swear even
the brakes work better. With a smaller diameter tire the road has a shorter
lever to
oppose the brakes, less foot pounds. Does this make sense?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336